Thursday, February 18, 2010

Molded Crayons

Today, our home-preschool letter of the day was the letter M.  We played Musical instruments, drew with Magic Markers, and made Molded Melted Crayons.  I saw this in a Family Fun magazine and you can get the exact directions at www.familyfun.com.  I thought I would share how we did it.  It is a fun activity when you are stuck inside.  Plus, it uses up all those old broken crayons.
Supplies: A heart shaped mold, I got this one at the $1 section at Target. (metal pan might be better)
Old used Crayons- I used a razor blade to cut off the wrappers and let Zoey unwrap them.
The kids love to get to break the crayons into little bits.
 (you may want to explain this is only alright with old crayons and mom is watching)
Let the kids fill each mold with different color combinations.  
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Place mold on a baking sheet.
Bake for 12-20 mins. Remove when all are melted. 
Wait until they cool COMPLETELY and remove from mold.
They are a bit messier than regular crayons, but super fun to color with.  You never know what you are going to get until you try them on paper.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zara! I didn't realize you had a blog! What a cute family you have and I love your family picture! I remember doing those melty crayons when I was a kid, but I had forgotten about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea! We'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

We always have so many photographs that one post takes up an entire page... please click older posts to see more fun adventures.
Thanks!

Our Family

Our Family

Fall Walk

Fall Walk
We love to go for walks around our neighborhood..