Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sewing Desk Project

Before:
My dream some day is to have a room dedicated to crafts and sewing.  Ty has also informed me he will have a "classy" fly- tying study.  For the meantime, I had been searching for a small desk or table to store my sewing supplies.  They always seems to be laying around in various places.  My good friend Stacie, found an old desk on craigslist and fixed it up cute.  I have been dying to find a similar one for cheap.  I had all but given up, when yesterday, as I drove home from Zoey's gymnastics I found my desk.  You may laugh and I don't usually do this, but I got it out of some one's garbage pile.  They still pick up the trash in our neighborhood the old fashion way by hand, and with it being a university neighborhood people are always leaving our stuff poor college kids can reuse.  I think originally it was a vanity with a mirror.  Yet, it is solid wood.

I stopped and lugged the desk into the back of the trusty Exterra.  Zoey was a bit alarmed, wondering why mommy was stealing some one's desk. I explained it was an empty house for sale, and they were sending it to the dump. She also went on to explain, it wasn't very nice looking. I told her mommy would fix it up.  Less than 48 hours later, I am so happy to say it turned out just as I dreamed. I am glad I took the risk of looking like a garbage collector.

I don't mean to rave, but it seriously is an answer to unuttered prayers.  I didn't have money to shell out on a brand new one, and I like a challenge.  I am excited to have a little crafting corner of my very own.  For now it is in the kitchen, but I may move it to our bedroom later. :)  The pictures aren't the greatest and I had to put paper down just incase it was a bit wet still.  It is my favorite color.  Aqua!

As always,  happy crafting!

Zara
   After:
I sanded it by hand, and the wood looks a million times better. 
Just for the record: I first tried to spray it because I was in a hurry, and  I wanted to see it done.
 Big mistake.  It looked awful!  I went to Lowes, and bought Valspar paint.  
Two coats later I was so glad I did!


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!! it turned out AMAZING! you are so on top of things too. 48 hours to do that. we don't have that kind of dedication around here. i think i need to paint mine aqua now! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stace! You were my inspiration! I love your color too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoey's room is ADORABLE!!!!!! I want that desk, too ;). Ahh... come live by me Zara! OH and I really want Jacka and Zealand to be friends too. They kind of look alike, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

We always have so many photographs that one post takes up an entire page... please click older posts to see more fun adventures.
Thanks!

Our Family

Our Family

Fall Walk

Fall Walk
We love to go for walks around our neighborhood..