I have been picking raspberries in my Grandma Betty's backyard since I was little. It has been so much fun to watch Zoey learn to do the same thing in her Great-grandma Betty's backyard. Grandma always tells us to look under the leaves because that is where the berries like to hide. Grandma then takes those yummy red raspberries and transforms them in to heavenly raspberry jam. She is famous for it.
Before we moved to Indiana, I had Grandma give me a lesson or two on the art of jam making. After 4 or 5 batches, a detailed recipe, and a "special" wooden spoon she said I was ready. That was about two years ago.
All these years of raspberry picking at Grandma Betty's, and Nana's house really paid off when we visited Anderson Orchard last week. Even though raspberry season ended in September, we thought we would try our luck. Zoey was very determined and we ended up with a whole basketful. After all, most of the best berries are hiding under the leaves. The orchard employees were so impressed with her gathering skills they gave them to her for free. She was very proud.
As we picked, it was almost like we were in Grandma Betty's or Nana's backyard. We tasted just as many berries as the ones that ending up in our basket.
We did end up with quite a few, but Kroger had a great deal on berries that week too. We ended up with enough to make an "attempt" at make Gram Betty's jam.
Both batches turned out perfect. 6 pints and 6 half pints now sit on my counter. I can't bring myself to put them in the cupboard they look so pretty. Plus, it reminds me of home and loving family.
I keep thinking how grateful I am to have had a wonderful mother, patient grandmothers, and a great mother-in-law who have all shared so many skills with me. Sewing, quilting, cooking, crafting, gardening, canning- they have all helped me become who I am. Now, that I am far away, on my own, it is so nice to be able to use those skills to make nice things for my own little family. It is also so wonderful to be able to teach my kids those same things I have been taught.
We are thankful for our families and that we were able to put some yummy jam away for the winter. :) Zara



No comments:
Post a Comment